Friday, July 20, 2012

Oh boy...

So we have made our way to Jaipur.  Holy cow.  The shopping here is insane.  It is slightly stressful because I want to buy every single thing I see.  This in turn stresses me out because not only do I want everything I see, but I want to buy everything I see for my sister and mom (don't get your hopes up guys, I don't have enough money for that) and then feel bad if I don't buy it.  BUT I did buy a rug -- and it's not small.  Big enough for me to have to ship it back to the States.  It will get there in 15 days....hopefully.



Why did I buy a rug you ask  (considering I'm currently living with my parents where my dogs happen to think any rug is their bathroom)?  I'll tell you why.  We went to a place where they not only make the rugs, but also where block printing is done and it was paradise.  We had a little tour of how both are done and then we were left...free to shop...and shop we did.  Unfortunately, I didn't have time to take a picture of the rug I bought seeing as the moment I showed  interest in it, it was rolled, packed, and on it's way to the US, but I can assure you it is GORGEOUS!!  I am seriously in love.



Everything here is stunning.  If I could wear the things they do without looking like a fool, I would in a heartbeat.  The prints, the colors, the fabrics, everything is to die for! In We Are Like That Only  the author compares India to an auto rickshaw saying that at times it may be ugly, noisy, and inconvenient, yet still has the ability to weave it's way in and out of utter confusion and serves it's purpose at incredibly low prices. I like to think this relates to some of the market/bazaar shopping in India as well. They are definitely noisy and often times utterly confusing, but they definitely serve their purpose at INCREDIBLY low prices. What's even more fun is bargaining. We were told to go down 50% and then bargain up from there so it's a bit of a thrill to find out what you can actually get things for. It's interesting to see how others around you bargain too.  I have a feeling they are a bit quicker then we are, but we get the job done eventually. The locals have it down pat seeing as though they bargain for anything from apparel and jewelry to fruits and vegetables. We have done pretty well if I do say so myself  - pants for $6, bangles for 30 cents, shoes for $20.  I could get used to this.  I could ramble on and on and on about everything I want and don't have the money for, but instead I'll just leave you with some pictures of the prints I'm currently obsessing over.











UPDATE: We had the day off today so a couple of us hit up two of the local markets. You know how I said if I could wear the things they did without looking like a fool then I would? Wellllll I bought some of the pants they wear here thinking they would look decent on me and boy was I wrong (yet still plan on wearing them). Despite the failed pants purchase, we still came out on top. Look at these shoes I picked up for the equivalent of $18. TO. DIE. FOR.


No comments:

Post a Comment